It was interesting to see maps of band counts and per capita counts for the world. What info is also available to us is taking a deeper look US states. Unfortunately, I don’t think things are as well defined for other countries (maybe Canada?). If this comes out sounding a little boring right now, yup its almost midnight so just look at the pretty pictures!
- Not all bans are accounted for due to typos etc. ( I think this may be 1% or less though)
- I took the “later” location as the location if available.
- If the “later” location is a different country, it is not counted
- Couldn’t find a good way to include AK, HI, and a DC bubble, so its in the title
- Pay careful attention to the values on the color axis, they change by plot
First look: Number of bands per state, Full DB
Now only active bands with at least a full length:
What about per capita you may be tearing up about? Well here is the full DB vs. 2016 population estimates from wikipedia (again, this comparison is nonsense!):
And finally, band counts per capita for active bands that have released at least one full length:
Yeah, at first you’re all like “oh man look at California, whoooooooooooooaaaa”, but then its all “naw dude, Oregon”.
Oregon is the Finland of the USA.
- This again, but with artists
- This again, BUT WITH GENRES! Are you excited?
- Maybe a cry party for the results I’m seeing from google trends.